ABOUT THE BEMIS BUILDING
The historic 150,000 square foot factory building located near Safeco Field is home to painters, photographers, glass artists, filmmakers, sculptors, fashion designers, architects and many others. For nearly a century, the towering letters of the Bemis Company sign have dominated the skyline just south of Pioneer Square marking the edge of Seattle’s industrial district.
Originally constructed in 1904 to house the Bemis Bro. Bag Company factory, it was expanded and renovated several times throughout the early and mid 20th century as the company grew. Several earthquakes also contributed to needed renovation. However, by the 1990’s the Seattle factory was again too small and outdated. The decision was made to consolidate plants elsewhere and the factory closed in 1993.
The building was purchased in 1994 by a group of investors, headed by Seattle artist David Huchthausen. The vision for the building’s new transformation twenty years ago was to create spaces where artists could live and work, and furnish exhibiting spaces large enough to foster the development of an art community independent of the surrounding area. Today the Bemis building continues to provide a rich, collaborative environment where artists can thrive.
For available loft and studio inquiries please contact Somerset Properties at bemisbuilding.com