Bemis Arts is currently accepting Guest Artist submissions for our Spring 2016 Art Show - APRIL 23 & 24th
held at the Bemis Building in Sodo, Seattle
open to emerging and established artists of all mediums
commission free sales
The Bemis Building is a 100 yr old industrial building, that was converted in 1995 to house four floors of artists and artisans of all mediums and professions. The top two floors are a mix of live/work spaces, which are open to the public during shows. Each space is as unique as the individual, and show patrons love getting an inside view of these eclectic dwellings and witnessing the artists' work process.
The building also features expansive hallways with high ceilings (each floor is over 30,000 sq ft) perfect for exhibiting the artwork of over 30 rotating local artists, many of which are exhibiting their work to the public for the first time.
Bemis Arts is a non-profit organization comprised of volunteer Bemis residents. We are dedicated to fostering a community of talented local artists in Seattle.
There are TWO fees associated with applying + acceptance:
- Application Fee: $10, $20, or $30 respectively (see deadlines above)
- Accepted Artists' Marketing Fee: $30 (must be paid prior or at 'Guest Artist Info Meeting' April 6)
- January 28 - Call for Artists is open. $10 early application fee.
- February 10 - Application fee increases to $20.
- February 24 - Application fee increases to $30.
- March 14 - Final application deadline.
- March 16 - Jury meets to select from applicants.
- March 17 - Applicants notified of results.
- April 6 - Guest Artist Orientation Meeting, 8p. Held at the Bemis. Required.
- April 8-17 - Artwork installation period. Appointment sign-up occurs at April 6 meeting.
- April 21 - Pre-Show Social 8p.
- April 23/24 - Show dates.
- April 24-May 1 - Artwork removal.
- Application fees are NON-REFUNDABLE, and must be submitted via Paypal (see form below).
- Accepted artists will be required to pay an additional $30 marketing fee.
- Artists keep 100% of the proceeds from the sale of their work.
- Artists are responsible for hanging/installation of their work, according to Bemis Building guidelines (detailed at Info Meeting)
- Artists are responsible for handling all sales transactions during the show.
- All artwork must remain installed until 6p Sunday, at the close of the show, including sold artwork.
- How many pieces of artwork can I display? Where/how big an area will I have?
- This varies depending on the size and medium of your work. In general, a 10-15 ft long section of white wall hallway (with 14-18 ft ceilings) is provided to each guest artist. If you have large scale work, or a large collection we encourage you to make note of this on your application, as we can sometimes accommodate 20-25+ ft or more of wall space.
- Do I need to be present during the show?
- No, but it is encouraged that you attend and/or be present for the majority of the show hours. A representative is welcome. All sales are handled by guest artists, and patrons enjoy interacting with the artists and learning about their work.
- I don't live in Seattle, can I still participate?
- You may use a proxy in your place to attend the mandatory info meeting on April 6th, and to install your work, however we do not accept shipped artwork nor do we install any guest artwork. We can aid with travel planning and recommend nearby accommodations if needed.
- I am a student, do you offer a discount/scholarship?
- Yes, in some cases. Please contact us directly.
- Is it safe to leave my work installed in the building prior/during the show?
- The building is secure with private access, however we do not insure or guarantee the safety of your work once installed. There have only been one or two minor incidents over the last decade of shows, but we suggest that guest artists insure their own work if concerned.
- What does my application + marketing fee cover?
- Bemis Arts is a non-profit organization. The application fee and marketing fee for accepted artists are used for show promotion and advertising. Posters and postcards will be available to guest artists at the Info Meeting on April 6th. Guest artists will also be listed on the Bemis Arts website, with sample work and contact info.
* Please submit relevant work samples, i.e. literal or in-line with what you actually plan to display at this show.
** Once your Paypal payment confirmation is completed, your application has been received. There will be no further emails/confirmation until after March 16th.
*** Please contact email@example.com if you have any additional questions or issues with your application.